Your Dogs Diet

Food & The Love We Have For Our Dogs

 We love our dogs and want to treat them every once in a while, but when it comes to food/love, please think carefully.  First, no Chocolate, we may love it and have no problem eating it but for our canine family members it is a no no.  You’ve probably heard it before” the theobromine in chocolate is toxic to dogs.  The darker the chocolate, the more theobromine.  If you feel you must indulge your dog in the chocolate experience, us carob and offer it sparingly.

There are plenty of healthful treats for dogs & even some “people food” can be enjoyed with out upsetting your dog’s nutritional balance.  You just need to look into what you’re offering.  Fresh or steamed veggies are a treat for dogs, just as fresh fruit and quality meat tasty for any dog.  Some will like one more, than another for a special treat, they will let you know which one they like the best.

In the realm of human food, there are some that you never want to feed your dog because it can upset your dogs stomach.

Plant Problems – Certain plants are a menace to dogs: Poinsettias irritate the stomach and eyes. Berries of the Jerusalem cherry are toxic, and cause pain, vomiting and diarrhea. Holly and mistletoe, amaryllis, chrysanthemum, rhododendron and winter broom as well as Christmas berry, cherry, pepper and rose can all cause problems to pets that ingest them.

Potpourri – Liquid potpourri is commonly used during the holidays to give a nice aroma to the home. Dogs can be attracted and lick some up. This can cause severe caustic burns to the mouth, gums, tongue and esophagus. These burns can be severe enough to require hospitalization and placement of a feeding tube.

Gastrointestinal Upset – This is a common problem that occurs during the holidays. Adorable dogs beg for human food that doesn’t agree with them.  Alcohol and chocolate are toxic. You have finally succeeded in teaching your dog not to beg. Dinner is now a pleasant meal for you and your family. As a reward, you think your dog might enjoy chewing on the leftover bones. After all, his distant cousin the wolf chews bones all the time and chewing

bones promotes healthy teeth and gums, right? What can it hurt? All cooked turkey, beef, chicken or pork bones left in an accessible place or given directly to your dog, are irresistible to him or her, and can lodge in an dog’s throat or block the intestinal tract, they splinter and your Vet bill will be big.. Remove leftovers from the table and don’t leave garbage where animals can get to it.  Actually, bones are not as healthy as you may think. Some dogs may never develop a problem associated with chewing bones but some may. And, some bone related problems can be very serious. With so many alternatives and little need for chewing real bones, are the benefits worth the risks? I say “No”.  If you feel you have to give your dog a bone, give them a raw beef bone only and what is not eaten up by the next day, put the remainder in the garbage.

Dogs lack the enzyme necessary to properly digest raw onions and this could result in gas, diarrhea, or severe gastrointestinal distress. If large amounts of onion are ingested or onions are a daily part of your dog’s diet, the red blood cells may become fragile and break apart. Severe anemias and even death can occur if the dog ingests lots of onions and receives no treatment.

Ingestion of grapes or raisins can be toxic to dogs. Ingestion of grapes and raisins does not appear to cause toxicity in all dogs but can cause acute kidney failure in some dogs. It has not been documented in cats.

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, between January 2001 and August 2004, over 200 calls were made to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center involving potential exposures to grapes or raisins in dogs.

The documented toxic grape or raisin dose range is 0.32 to 0.65 oz/kg (0.15 to 0.32 oz/lb). This means a 20 pound dog can eat as little as 3.2 ounces and have signs of toxicity. Studies suggest the lowest documented toxic raisin dose is 0.1 oz/kg and 10 to 12 grapes in a 20 pound dog. Raisins are 4.5 times more concentrated than grapes on an oz per oz basis.

We know you love your dog and want to keep him or her safe, so only give them what is good for them and they will live a long life.